Therapeutic Management of a 14 year old Rower
Cubital and Carpal Tunnel Syndrome in a 14 year old rower:
While treatment to relieve the symptoms, including ice and analgesia, may prove adequate acute pain relief, long-term management involves correcting muscle imbalances including strengthening scapulothoracic stabilizers, stretching the neck muscles, postural realignment, and technique modification.
In the case of the 14-year-old girl who is attending hand therapy, treatment is including:
* Neck exercises
* Nerve glide exercises
* Massage of the ulnar nerve to improve circulation
* Provision of night time
* Provision of CMC I OA splints to support the CMC joints
* Shoulder mobilization and strengthening
* Hand strengthening
* Core strengthening through Pilates
* Full body strengthening through Barre exercises
* All ergo training and rowing has been halted for the time being. * Land training with the couch is continuing.